Love pasta, but don’t love all the added sugar in store-bought pasta sauce? Try this easy, affordable homemade sauce with no added sugar. It’s only 69 cents per serving and only 69 calories!
2 medium yellow onions
6 cloves of garlic
2 28 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes, unsalted
1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
3 to 4 tbsp of Italian seasoning, to taste
1 tablespoon balsamic or apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
Optional: ½ to 1 cup of water
1. Peel and roughly chop the onions, garlic and zucchini.
2. Add the olive oil to a large sauce pan and heat over medium-high heat.
3. Add the chopped onions and sauté until translucent, around 5 to 8 minutes.
4. Add in the chopped garlic and sauté until fragrant, being careful not to burn the garlic.
5. Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, zucchini, vinegar, Italian seasoning and salt.
6. Stir and cover with a lid, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
7. Remove pot from heat.
8. Optional: Add in ½ to 1 cup of water, depending on desired consistency. More water will yield a thinner sauce.
9. Allow the sauce to cool for 15 to 30 minutes.
10. Add the sauce to a blender in batches and blend for two minutes for each batch.
11. Add the blended sauce to jars, recipe makes roughly 4 24 ounce jars of sauce.
12. Enjoy! Freeze any unused jars of sauce for up to one year.