Zucchini boats are a great alternative to your regular tacos and burritos. Using zucchini to hold the taco fillings instead of a tortilla or taco shell, you cut out a ton of additional calories, fat, and carbohydrates, and add fiber, vitamins and minerals to your diet effortlessly. Zucchini is high in vitamin C, vitamin B6, riboflavin, folate and potassium. These vitamins and minerals play a role in maintaining a healthy heart, eye health, blood pressure regulation, and lowering cholesterol. Additionally, zucchini is high in fiber which helps with digestion, and keeps you feeling full longer.
PREP TIME: 25 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
READY IN: 55 minutes
YIELD: 8 Boats
- 4 large zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup salsa (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 red pepper, cored and diced
- ½ cup corn
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon +1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar/Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9 X 13” casserole dish and set aside.
- Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller or metal teaspoon, carve out the center of each zucchini half. Lightly brush the tops with one teaspoon of olive oil then place them skin side down in the casserole dish.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and the peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the rice, corn, and beans along with the salsa, chili powder and cumin. Stir everything together and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in ¼ cup of the cilantro and salt to taste to the filling. Spoon the filling inside of each zucchini until they are all full.
- Sprinkle each “boat” with shredded cheese then arrange them in the dish and cover with foil.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes then remove the foil and set the oven to broil. Cook them for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes then top with fresh cilantro and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING:
Calories: 181, Total Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 11 mg, Sodium: 389 mg, Potassium: 412 mg, Total Carbohydrate: 22 g, Dietary Fiber: 5 g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 7 g.
A Novant Health Weight Loss Services team member is ready to discuss your needs or make an appointment.