This flavorful pasta bake is packed with vegetables and protein that makes for a hearty and healthy dinner the night before the marathon.
- 3 cups whole wheat penne/fusilli pasta, dry
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 28 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup pasta water
- 1 tablespoons Italian herb seasoning (oregano or basil), dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4-5 cups kale (1 bunch), stems removed and chopped
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley, chopped (for garnish)
1. Cook pasta al dente as per package instructions, undercooking by four minutes. Drain, reserving one cup of pasta water and set aside. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Preheat large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and garlic, saute for two to three minutes, stirring occasionally. Add turkey and cook for another seven minutes, breaking meat into pieces and stirring occasionally. Add tomato sauce, honey, pasta water, herb seasoning, salt, pepper, kale and stir. Add previously cooked pasta and stir again.
3. Transfer half of the mixture in 9-by-13-inch baking dish and sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese. Top with remaining mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1-1/4 cups cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and broil until cheese is golden brown. Serve hot, garnished with parsley, if desired.