The days after Thanksgiving often mean one thing: a lot of leftovers. Instead of making the same hearty plate of food you had the day before, get creative and healthy! This protein-packed sandwich is a great way to use up leftover turkey and incorporate a few extra servings of fruits and vegetables while still tasting delicious. In addition to making your tastebuds happy, if will also leave your primary care provider with a smile on his or her face because it's all part of a heart-healthy diet.
A healthy heart starts with a visit to your provider.
- 1 1/2 cups leftover Brussels sprouts, shaved or chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 slices cranberry raisin bread/spinach wrap (or any bread you want)
- 1/2 cup spinach leaves
- 1 apple, cored and sliced very thinly
- Sliced white cheddar cheese
- Sliced leftover turkey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- In a large bowl, toss the Brussels sprouts with the lemon juice and honey. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Spread the mustard on two slices of bread. Then add the turkey, cheddar cheese, spinach, apple slices, and a few spoonfuls of the Brussels sprouts.