Kinberly Spatola is a Novant Health registered dietitian.
We’re back in the school-work routine, or at least whatever passes for that these days as COVID-19 continues to disrupt daily life. So we’re sharing this healthy, easy and delicious spinach-stuffed chicken dish to help bring your day to a satisfying conclusion. Prep time comes in at just 20 minutes.
This recipe can be easily doubled if needed to accommodate a larger family or to ensure leftovers. This meal can also be made the night before to ensure a quick dinner on busy weeknights. Once you have prepared the chicken in the baking dish, refrigerate until ready to bake. Pair the chicken with your favorite vegetable, side salad or cooked brown rice to round out the dish.
Spinach stuffed chicken
Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, part skim, shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Use a sharp knife to cut a pocket into the side of each chicken breast. Set chicken aside.
- Sauté the onions in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in spinach until just wilted and set aside.
- Mix cream cheese, mozzarella, Parmesan, garlic, sautéed onion and spinach, and seasonings in a small bowl, stirring well to combine.
- Spoon the spinach mixture into each chicken breast, evenly.
- Place the chicken breasts in a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Nutrient analysis per serving: calories 357, protein 43 g, carbs 5 g, fat 17 g, cholesterol 131 mg, sat fat 8 g, fiber 0.5 g, sugar 2 g, sodium 722 mg