Whether you're feeding out-of-town guests or just trying to put something special on the breakfast table during the holidays, the following two recipes are a great place to start. They're healty, satisfying and registered dietitian-approved.
Crustless Spinach Quiche with Canadian Bacon
- 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 oz. Canadian bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 325. Prepare an 8-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook spinach according to package directions; drain and squeeze on paper towel to remove all liquid.
- Beat eggs in a medium sized bowl. Stir in spinach, onion, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, and chopped Canadian bacon.
- Pour egg mixture into prepared pie pan. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until egg is fully set in the middle. Cut into 6 wedges and serve immediately.
- If serving the next day, allow quiche to fully cool in pie pan before refrigerating. When ready to reheat, cover quiche with foil and place in 325 degree F oven for about 20 minutes, or until heated through.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition per serving: 193 calories; 8 g fat; 3.5 g saturated fat; 608 mg sodium; 7 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 0 g added sugar; 23 g protein
Who helps you make good choices? Registered Dietitians
Whole Grain Muffins
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup old fashioned oats
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400. Prepare a standard muffin tray with paper muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and wheat bran. Add in egg, oil, honey, and brown sugar and mix until fully combined.
- Add remaining ingredients, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fill muffin liners 2/3 full with prepared batter.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out mostly clean.
Yield: 12 muffins
Nutrition per 1 muffin: 170 calories; 9 g fat; 1 g saturated fat; 136 mg sodium; 19 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 5 g added sugar; 4 g protein