Spine, Back and Neck
Get the personalized care you deserve.
If you have pain in your neck, back or spine, it can impact every aspect of your daily life. Work with the team of orthopedic specialists and neurologists at Novant Health to create a treatment and recovery plan.
Causes and Conditions:
- Ligament or muscle tears
- Sprains or strains (improper lifting)
- Trauma, including an injury or fracture
- Abnormal growths or tumors
- Joint problems
- Muscle tension or spasms
- Poor muscle tone in your back
- Protruding or herniated (slipped) discs
- Spinal canal narrowing (lumbar spinal stenosis) that creates pinching and discomfort in your lower back, buttocks or legs.
- Computed tomography (CT) scan - provides a clear view of bones, muscles, fat and organs
- Electromyogram (EMG) - evaluates nerve and muscle functioning
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) - produces detailed internal images of your body
- Radionuclide bone scan - shows blood flow to your bones and cell activity within the bones
- X-rays - produce images of your bones
- Smoking cessation
- Regular exercise with proper stretching
- Maintaining correct posture while sitting, standing and sleeping
- Managing your weight and eating a healthy diet
- Practicing correct lifting techniques
- Reducing emotional stress