Improving our community's health, one person at a time
Novant Health New Hanover Regional Medical Center has been part of the Wilmington community since 1967, supporting the health and well-being of people in southeastern North Carolina and surrounding communities. Our services include cardiac care, orthopedics, oncology, pediatrics, women’s health, rehabilitation and trauma care.
Focused on Excellence
Patient safety is our top priority. Our services meet or exceed strict industry standards so you can feel confident about your care.
We set the standard.
At New Hanover Regional Medical Center, you can expect next-level care. Some of our recent honors include:
- Level II Trauma Center verification, American College of Surgeons, 2022
- Heart Failure – Gold Plus, American Heart Association, 2021
- Stroke – Gold Plus with Target Stroke Elite Plus Honor Roll and Target Stroke Advanced Therapy Honor Roll, American Heart Association, 2021
- Mission: Lifeline STEMI – Gold Receiving Plus, American Heart Association, 2021
- Best Maternity Hospitals, Newsweek, 2022
Serving your community since 1967
Novant Health New Hanover Regional Medical Center officially opened as New Hanover Memorial Hospital on June 14, 1967, with the arrival of seven prematurely born infants in cardboard cradles in perhaps the crowning civil rights achievement in the history of Wilmington, NC.
These infants were the first patients of the newly opened New Hanover Memorial Hospital. During a turbulent period of civil rights in this nation’s history, their arrival marked the merger, in a small city in the Deep South, of a Black and white hospital — without protest, riot or bloodshed. For the first time, the county’s hospital treated everyone, regardless of race, creed, national origin or ability to pay.
Key milestones in New Hanover Regional Medical Center’s history include:
- 1967: New Hanover Memorial Hospital opens on June 14.
- 1972: Hospital’s helipad is first called into service to transport a13-year-old traffic accident victim.
- 1989: Hospital’s current Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) starts.
- 1991: Hospital’s name changes to New Hanover Regional Medical Center.
- 1991: The New Hanover Regional Medical Center Foundation is established.
- 1998: New Hanover Regional Medical Center:
- Buys Cape Fear Memorial Hospital and creates the New Hanover Health Network.
- Begins managing the county’s Emergency Medical Services.
- 1999: Hospital adds Pender Memorial Hospital to its system.
- 2000: Zimmer Cancer Center opens at the hospital.
- 2001: New Hanover Regional Medical Center introduces AirLink, the region’s first air ambulance service.
- 2003: New Hanover Regional Medical Center Zimmer Cancer Center is designated as a national Teaching Hospital Program.
- 2008: Betty H. Cameron Women’s & Children’s Hospital and Surgical Pavilion open on the main campus.
- 2010: The hospital renovates the main patient tower to convert all rooms to private.
- 2015: New Hanover Regional Medical Center Emergency Department-North, a standalone emergency department, opens in Scotts Hill.
- 2017: Zimmer Cancer Center completes an 18-month renovation.
- 2021: New Hanover Regional Medical Center begins partnership with Novant Health.
- 2022: Hospital’s name changes to Novant Health New Hanover Regional Medical Center.