Family Resources

Providing support for our patients and families

When your child is in the hospital, we understand that it can be a stressful time for families. We offer support and resources designed to help you during this time so you can focus on your child and helping them heal. 

Dedicated space for families to rest and recharge

The Ronald McDonald Family Room at Caroline’s Corner offers a welcoming, home-like environment for families of children receiving care. Located in Hemby Children’s Hospital, the program allows families to relax,  do laundry and grab a snack without having to be far from their child. 

Support for NICU Families

For the families of our tiniest patients, we offer information to help support you as we care for your baby. Get answers to questions about NICU-specific information including visitors, guidelines and resources.

A health care provider has a newborns foot in their hand. The baby's foot has a red light senor on it that is wrapped in purple tape.

Child life programs

We understand that children’s needs are unique – especially when they are sick or injured. The child life team at Hemby Children’s Hospital is available to help support our patients and families during this time. Child life specialists earn nationally recognized certification credentials and receive additional education and training in human growth and development, education, psychology or counseling. 

Our child life specialists help care for your child’s social and emotional needs and can help support families in the following ways: 

  • Provide comfort and support, particularly for children who are going through a significant change or who are upset about a disruption to their routine
  • Offer developmentally appropriate preparation before treatment and assist with creating a coping plan for an upcoming medical experience
  • Provide support and distraction during procedures
  • Offer sessions to help a child play through medical experiences while in the hospital
  • Provide information regarding sibling responses to hospitalization
  • Provide age-appropriate information about a diagnosis
  • Provide grief and bereavement resources to families that have recently lost a loved one
  • Facilitate group activities in the playroom and teen room 

For questions about Child Life at Hemby Children’s Hospital, call 704-384-0558.

Interested in a Career in Child Life?

If you are passionate about helping provide support and education for pediatric patients and families, we offer programs to help train you for a career in child life. Our programs offer hands-on experience to help prepare you.

A Novant Health team member is sitting at her workstation on the computer while others are printing copies and on phone calls.

Housing and accommodations

If you have a child receiving care at Hemby Children’s Hospital or are visiting a patient, you may need accommodations for an overnight or extended stay. The following resources may be helpful. 

Short-term housing

Several hotels partner with us to provide discounted rates for loved ones traveling long distances to visit loved ones receiving care. Ask about a Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center rate when you make a reservation or ask your bedside nurse or the NICU case manager for recommendations for lodging.

Ronald McDonald House of Charlotte

If you live outside of Mecklenburg County, your healthcare provider or social worker can submit a request for lodging at the Ronald McDonald House of Charlotte on your behalf.  The following guidelines may apply: 

  • A request does not guarantee room availability. 
  • Ronald McDonald House of Charlotte does not reserve rooms or accept reservations. 
  • Once your referral has been submitted, call the hospitality services director at 704-288-5318 at least one day before you plan to arrive to confirm room availability.
  • Ronald McDonald House has its own criteria and qualifications, and acceptance for services may vary accordingly. 


Hospitality House of Charlotte

  • Contact the chaplain’s office at 704-384-4168  or ask the NICU case manager for a referral form.
  • Call Hospitality House for room rates.

Resources to Support Your Children