What are your rights?
You have the following rights. If someone is helping you make healthcare decisions, he or she may exercise these rights for you.
For comments, complaints, or grievances or to report safety concerns, you can contact your nearest Novant Health location or call toll-free:
Quality of care – You have the right to:
- Quality care by skilled healthcare team and staff.
- Be treated for your pain.
- Treatment that is as comfortable as possible.
- Emergency procedures without unnecessary delays.
- Help decide the details of your plan of care.
- Ask for a second opinion, at your expense.
Safety – You have the right to:
- Safe care.
- Know when something goes wrong with your care.
- Have a family member or friend, as well as your doctor, notified promptly of your admission to the hospital.
- Be free from all forms of abuse and neglect.
- Be free from the use of restraints unless needed for safety.
Voice and choice –You have the right to:
- Get information in a manner you understand.
- Make informed decisions about your care.
- Refuse care.
- Make advance directives and have your medical wishes followed.
- Contact a person or agency to protect your rights.
- Have a support person with you for emotional support.
- Agree or refuse to allow pictures for purposes other than your care.
- Religious and other spiritual services that you choose.
- Complain without fear and have your complaints reviewed.
Privacy and access to medical information as described in Novant Health’s Notice of Privacy Practices.
Affordability – You have the right to:
- A detailed bill and an explanation of that bill.
- Information about resources to help pay for your healthcare.
Authentic personalized relationships – You have the right to:
- Know the names and jobs of the people who care for you.
- Be treated with respect and dignity.
- Treatment without discrimination.
- Respect for your culture, values, beliefs and preferences.
- Visitors of your choice. We will inform you of any restrictions.
- Personal privacy.
Easy for me – You have the right to:
- Sleep in the hospital without being awakened unless necessary.
- Know about rules that apply to your actions.
- Help in discharge planning from the hospital.
What is your role in your healthcare?
- Be an active partner in your healthcare.
- Ask questions.
- Keep appointments.
- Be respectful to other people and their property.
- Follow the facility’s rules.
- Follow your care instructions.
- Share as much health information with us as possible.
- Tell us about changes in your condition.
- Tell us when you are in pain.
- Give us a copy of your advance directive(s).
- Leave your valuables at home.
- Pay for your care.
For comments, complaints, grievances, or to report safety concerns, you may contact this Novant Health facility or call, toll-free 1-888-648-7999. After normal business hours, please leave a message and someone will return your call the next business day.
You also may lodge a grievance directly with the following:
North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation
Attention: Rita Horton
2711 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-2711
800-624-3004 (toll free for NC residents)
919-855-4500 (local and outside NC)
The Joint Commission
Report a patient safety event at www.jointcommission.org
By fax to 630-792-5636
By mail to
Office of Quality and Patient Safety, The Joint Commission
One Renaissance Boulevard
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
Virginia Department of Health
Office of Licensure and Certification
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 401
Richmond, VA 23233-1463
Toll Free: 1-800-955-1819 or
Metro Richmond area: (804) 367-2106
Department of Health and Environmental
2600 Bull Street Columbia, SC 29201