You make a difference.
Our volunteers play an important role in making connections with our patients and their loved ones. Often, they are the first people those arriving at our facilities will meet. As a volunteer, you provide a valuable service to our community, and, in return, have the opportunity to make friends, learn new skills and make a difference in the lives of those we serve.
Ways you can volunteer
Our volunteer roles are as diverse as the people who fill them. Whether you are a teen, college student, retiree, former patient, or community member, we have a place for you. As a volunteer at Novant Health New Hanover Orthopedic Hospital, you might:
- Visit patients and loved ones and provide emotional support
- Serve as a reception and information clerk
- Help direct patients and visitors through our facilities
- Transport patients throughout our facilities
You don’t need to have had any experience working in healthcare to volunteer with us. All Novant Health volunteers must:
- Be at least 14 years old
- Successfully pass a background check
- Provide proof of flu vaccination
After you submit the volunteer application, you will go through new volunteer orientation and training.
Required annual education
All returning adult and college volunteers must complete the following required annual education and testing to continue working at these Novant Health locations:
- New Hanover Regional Medical Center
- New Hanover Orthopedic Hospital
- Pender Medical Center
- Any affiliated New Hanover location
New Hanover Regional Medical Center, New Hanover Orthopedic Hospital and offsite locations
- Volunteer annual education - New Hanover locations (PDF)
- Test - New Hanover locations volunteer annual education
Pender Medical Center
- Volunteer annual education - Pender Medical Center (PDF)
- Test - Pender Medical Center volunteer annual education
Please call the contact phone number listed on this page if you have any questions about opportunities to volunteer at our hospital.
Connect With Novant Health
From inspiring patient stories to innovative medical advancements, there's always something new happening at Novant Health. Get the latest healthcare news, expert advice, recipes and feel-good stories delivered to your inbox.