Improving community health, one person at a time
Novant Health Matthews Medical Center offers emergency, cardiovascular, stroke, surgical, maternity and cancer care. We are also here for your same-day care needs, including mammography and other imaging services to help diagnose conditions. In 2022, we received the highest rating available for overall hospital quality from the federal government and we are regularly recognized for the high standard of care we provide heart, stroke and other patients.
We set the standard.
Matthews Medical Center consistently meets or exceeds industry standards for safety and quality of care. Some of our recent honors include:
- America’s 250 Best Hospitals Award, Healthgrades.com
- Grade “A” Safety, Leapfrog Group
- 4-star rating for Overall Hospital Quality, U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- High Performing Hospitals for Maternity Care, U.S. News & World Report, 2023
Improving health equity
The care teams at Novant Health Matthews Medical Center are committed to meeting the healthcare needs of the community. Every few years we partner with county health officials to assess the community’s healthcare needs, which helps us form partnerships with local organizations to bring basic heathcare services to members of the community in need.
Serving the community since 1994
- 1994: Matthews Medical Center opens with an emergency room, inpatient and outpatient surgery, a diagnostic treatment and support service area, an intensive care unit for critically ill patients, and a special emphasis on maternity care.
- 2002: Add STEMI to improve outcomes for patients who suffer heart attacks and cardiac catheterization lab used for less invasive cardiovascular procedures.
- 2013: We open a fifth-floor vertical expansion with 23 inpatient rooms, nine observation rooms and three hospice beds.
- 2015: We complete a renovation of our existing maternity rooms to add a guest sleep bed, Jacuzzi, shower and other amenities.
- 2016: We open a 26,000-square-foot Women’s Center, adding new labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum suites, and two antepartum rooms.
- Add a second linear accelerator to continue providing the latest in cancer care treatment for patients.
- We broke ground on a $169 million, four-story, 150,000 square-foot tower and renovation of 50,000 square-feet of existing space expected to open in phases beginning in 2024.