Volunteers play a vital role in assisting patients and families throughout their hospice journey. As an integral part of the hospice philosophy, volunteers serve as members of the care team along with physicians, nurses, social workers, hospice aides, chaplains and grief counselors. They serve our patients and families in many heartfelt ways throughout the hospice journey.
Some volunteers give the gift of music, others lend their talents of flower arranging or pet therapy. Many simply provide the gift of time – sitting with patients while family members take a couple of hours for a much needed break.
Here are our patient support service opportunities:
- Provide support to in-home patients and families
- Assist with various support services on the Harris Hospice Unit or Glenn A. Kiser Hospice House
- Offer emotional support to grieving families through our bereavement volunteer program
- Join our Giving Gardens program and help with a multitude of tasks – collecting or growing flowers, making bouquets for our patients and families, washing recycled vases and more
- Participate in our prayer ministry, music ministry, pet therapy or other special volunteer teams
- Form a hospitality team to prepare and serve meals for families at the Harris Hospice Unit and Glenn A Kiser Hospice House (especially helpful during holidays)
- Become an angel ambassador and knit prayer shawls or make lap blankets for our patients
- Provide administrative support to our hospice office staff, assisting with invaluable work with patient guides to hospice care, medical records and other office assignments
- Join our special skills team and offer services such as notary, mechanic, electrician, housekeeping or pet care
Volunteers may give as much time as they wish, although we suggest two to four hours per week to complete most assignments. We also ask volunteers to make a minimum one-year commitment to our team.
For more information on volunteering with Novant Health Hospice in Charlotte, please call
Get started by completing the online volunteer application form. Once your application is received, it will be reviewed by our volunteer coordinator and you will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in serving our patients and families – all of our volunteers are unique and very important to us.
Fill out our hospice volunteer application