If you will be enrolling dependents in the Novant Health medical plan, you have 31-days to enroll and submit required documentation as noted in the following sections.
Medical coverage and dependents
Copy of marriage certificate and proof of joint debt/ownership.
The proof of joint debt/ownership must:
- Show both the team member and spouse’s names
- Be dated within the past 90 days
Copy of front page of current federal tax return that includes the child(ren) being enrolled (you may remove all financial information and all but the last four of the Social Security Number).
If child(ren) are not listed on your tax return, you must provide a copy of the birth certificate showing the team member’s name.
You cannot enroll your spouse in the Novant Health medical plan if your spouse is:
- Eligible for employer-sponsored group medical coverage at their place of employment
However, your spouse may be eligible for medical coverage with Novant Health if:
- Your spouse is:
- Your spouse's employer does not offer group medical coverage to its employees
Satisfactory documentation that verifies your spouse is not eligible for group medical coverage somewhere else is required before your spouse is enrolled in Novant Health medical coverage.
- Copy of current proof of receipt of unemployment benefits, or
- A letter from your spouse’s employer validating they are not eligible for medical coverage through their employer, or
- 2020 or 2021 federal income tax return that verifies spouse is self-employed, retired, disabled or unemployed
The spouse mandate requirement only applies to medical insurance — your spouse can be enrolled in dental, vision and life insurance regardless of their eligibility for these plans somewhere else.