Simple steps to start eating healthy
Many people struggle with making healthier eating choices, but the benefits and rewards can be life changing and long lasting. Dietary changes need to be sustainable and shouldn't feel like a sacrifice. The journey to eating healthier can start with these 10 steps:
Six things to eliminate from your diet today
Many people have a rough idea of what is healthy to eat and what is not. Few people are surprised when they are presented with a list of what to avoid. This list can include:
- Saturated fats, which elevate cholesterol and increase your risk for heart disease, heart attacks and stroke, according to the American Diabetes Association.
- Hydrogenated oils and trans fats, which raises bad LDL cholesterol and increases the risk of heart disease.
- White flour, which carries no nutritional value in comparison to its whole grain counterpart.
- Artificial color, preservatives and processed foods, which are linked to everything from allergic reactions to cancer.
- Salt, which is linked to high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Sugar in all its forms, which is linked to everything from diabetes to dementia.
Your metabolism may not be to blame
Metabolism is the process of your body converting calories to energy. When most people talk about their metabolism, they’re referring to basal metabolic rate, which is the number of calories your body needs in order to carry out its basic functions. No matter your body composition, your basal metabolic rate accounts for about 70 percent of the calories you burn every day. The remaining 30 percent is burned through physical activity and food processing. Discuss any metabolism concerns with your doctor to check your metabolism and assess your risk for the rare conditions that can affect metabolism. Your doctor can help establish a plan of healthy lifestyle changes that will assist with weight loss, regardless of your metabolism rate.
Finding time to exercise
Thirty minutes of exercise each day is proven to help lower your risk of numerous preventable diseases, such as heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes. Sometimes fitting exercise into a busy schedule can seem like a daunting task, but it can be easier than you think. Working one of these simple steps into your daily routine will help you take control of your health with the exercise your body needs: