Aortic Aneurysms

Expert treatment where you live

The experts at Novant Health Heart & Vascular Institute offer innovative approaches to preventing and treating thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysms that can rupture the largest artery in your body.

Find a Provider
Location pin
Location Finder

Aortic Aneurysm FAQs

Surgical Specialists

Two surgeons performing surgery

Heart surgeons

Heart surgeons, also referred to as “cardiovascular surgeons,” specialize in treating thoracic aortic aneurysms. These are said to occur in the "ascending aorta,” because this part of the aorta ascends from the left ventricle in the lower heart chamber toward the the aortic arch.

Vascular surgeons

Vascular surgeons treat abdominal aortic aneurysms, or those that occur in the descending aorta, or portion running from the aortic arch down to the pelvis.