Novant Health Heart & Vascular Institute – Southport makes it easy for you to investigate concerns related to your heart, veins and circulation, and to receive needed treatment or management of heart and vascular conditions. Our heart care specialists listen to your concerns and use powerful diagnostic tools to get you answers quickly. Should you need a heart procedure or management of a chronic condition, you can get that care from providers you know and can trust.
We offer diagnostic tests including:
- Cardiac computed tomograpy angiograpy (cardiac CTA; a non-invasive test using advanced X-rays to detect blockages in heart arteries)
- Cardiac stress tests (to measure how the heart responds to stress from exercise or other factors)
- Carotid and vascular ultrasounds (a non-invasive way to check on blood flow)
- Nuclear stress tests (to create images of the blood flow to your heart)
- Echocardiograms (a test using sound waves to create images of your heart)
- Stress echocardiograms (to examine heart function with sound waves when a stressor such as exercise is present)
- Electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG; a test using sensors placed on the skin to record heart activity)
- Tilt table exam (tilt table test; a test involving lying on a table tilted at different angles to assess heart function and circulation to investigate dizziness, lightheadedness or fainting)
Our providers can address some heart conditions with advanced, minimally invasive procedures including:
- Coronary angioplasty (a procedure to widen blocked or narrowed arteries)
- Coronary artherectomy (a procedure to remove plaque from blood vessels)
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG; used to treat heart disease by diverting blood flow around a clogged artery)
- Heart arrhythmia treatment/electrophysiology (procedures that diagnose or treat irregular heartbeats)
- Interventional cardiology treatments (minimally invasive procedures using a small, flexible tube to address heart issues)
- Left atrial appendage occlusion (LAAO or LAOO; for patients with atrial fibrillation; a procedure to prevent stroke)
- Mitraclip (a minimally invasive procedure to repair a leaking heart valve)
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR; a minimally invasive procedure in which a new valve is placed inside a damaged valve)
If you suffer from congestive heart failure, are on Coumadin (warfarin) to treat blood clots, or have a heart device such as a left ventricular assist device (LVAD), our team is here to offer ongoing management so you can stay healthy and active.
We also offer classes to educate and inform patients living with atrial fibrillation. These help you understand your condition as well as how you can play a role in its management.