You're unique, so your radiation treatment should be tailored just for you
Our radiation oncology specialists combine the latest in radiation technology with the most advanced treatment options. A wide range of radiation oncology treatments are available at our Charlotte, Huntersville, Matthews, Rowan and Winston-Salem Novant Health facilities, including:
- Radiation therapy – Also called radiotherapy, this treatment method uses high-energy X-rays to kill cancer cells and stop them from growing. The rays are directed at the body by a machine called a linear accelerator.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) – This treatment uses a state-of-the-art radiation delivery system that uses CT scans to create a three-dimensional image of the tumor and precisely deliver radiation to all sides.
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) and Stereotactic Radiotherapy (SRT) – This highly targeted form of radiation is used to treat tumors in sensitive, difficult-to-reach areas such as brain, spine, liver and lungs.
- Brachytherapy – This treatment uses radioactive seeds placed directly in or near the tumor to allow cancer to be treated with minimal affects to the healthy tissues around the tumor. Brachytherapy is often used to treat prostate cancer.
- Skin brachytherapy - Using the Leipzig applicator, our radiation oncology team uses brachytherapy to treat nonmelanoma skin cancers like basal cell carcinomas and squamous cell carcinomas. This non-invasive approach to treatment is as effective as surgery and can be especially beneficial for tumors in hard-to-reach areas. This service is offered at Forsyth Medical Center and Presbyterian Medical Center.
- Deep Inspiration Breath Hold - This tool pushes the treatment area away from the heart and lungs, thereby minimizing radiation exposure. It is particularly useful for treating patients with left-sided breast cancer, as well as those with certain thoracic and abdominal cancers. This service is offered at Forsyth Medical Center, Rowan Medical Center, Presbyterian Medical Center, and Huntersville Medical Center.
- 4D CT simulation - Used for lung cancer, this tool takes into account patient breathing and how the tumor volume moves with each breath. This minimizes exposure to the surrounding normal tissue while ensuring the target is treated. This service is offered at Forsyth Medical Center, and Rowan Medical Center.
- MammoSite – A type of brachytherapy especially for breast cancer, this treatment delivers radiation directly to the original tumor site and decreases radiation time. While standard breast brachytherapy involves surgically implanting 24 catheters into the breast, our MammoSite treatment calls for just a single catheter to perform the therapy.
- TheraSphere®– This liver cancer treatment involves inserting radioactive beads directly into the tumor resulting in minimal impact on surrounding tissue.
To learn more about our cancer treatments, please contact the Novant Health location nearest you.