Hospitals enhance the level of care they provide by expanding the number of specially trained, round-the-clock physicians who only see hospitalized patients. These medical staff, are called hospitalists and intensivists, and they work with your child’s pediatrician upon discharge to better coordinate follow-up care.
Pediatric hospitalist care
Our pediatric hospitalists will provide exceptional care to your child while in the hospital. They work to collaborate with your pediatrician and any other necessary providers to determine the best treatment options and follow-up care. They may:
- Order tests, medications and treatments
- Visit your child's bedside and answer questions
- Consult with additional specialists, as needed
- Arrange for your child's discharge from the hospital
- Provide a summary of hospital care to your child's physician
The pediatric floor at Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital includes a 35-bed general pediatric unit and an eight-bed pediatric intensive care unit. Patients take a trip around the world, with 7 international murals complete with hidden images displayed throughout the floor to educate and entertain. Rooms are brightly colored and spacious, including amenities such as a parent bed, microwave and mini-fridge.