Specialized emergency care for newborns, children & teenagers
The Hemby Children's Hospital emergency room is the only children's ER in the area staffed by board-certified pediatric emergency medicine physicians. A trip to the children's emergency room can be scary for children, especially with all the strange sounds, smells and people. We offer a warm and caring environment for the whole family. Our experienced staff is specially trained to understand the unique needs of children and our commitment is to treat your child like one of our own.
See the children's ER through the eyes of a child
When to bring your child to the emergency room
- Fainting, seizure, convulsion or loss of consciousness
- Fever above 100.4 degrees in a newborn less than three months of age
- Difficulty or rapid breathing
- Sudden dizziness, weakness or change in vision
- Severe vomiting or vomiting of blood
- Bleeding that will not stop after 15 minutes of direct pressure
- Problems with movement or sensation after an injury
- A bulging or sunken soft spot in infants
- Sudden severe pain anywhere in the body
- Falls from any significant height or from a bicycle/car accident
What to expect when you arrive
When you arrive at our children's ER, a triage nurse will welcome you and evaluate your child’s condition. You and your child will then be taken to a treatment room where an experienced provider will examine your child, ask you a few questions and may order any necessary laboratory tests, X-rays or other medical tests to help diagnose and treat your child.
Everything will be discussed and explained in detail. Be sure to ask questions regarding anything you may not fully understand, If your child has any allergies, is on medications, has any other medical conditions, or cannot undergo a particular medical test for any reason, please inform the provider attending to you and your child.
We see everyone as quickly as possible, however, we do treat the most critical patients first. Our staff will do its best to speed up the process, and we’re always available to answer any questions you may have and help soothe your child’s fears.