Take control of your life.
Novant Health offers professional psychiatric services to help you manage mental, emotional and behavioral issues disrupting your life.
Find care and resources.
For help finding the right care for you or your loved one or answers to your questions, call our 24-hour toll-free mental health program access line:
Licensed therapists are available to provide you with answers and support when you need it.
Getting an initial psychiatric evaluation
If you struggle with mental health issues that affect your home, work and social life, we can help. Speak to your primary care team about getting a referral for a thorough mental evaluation.
At your first visit, a board-certified Novant Health psychiatrist will conduct a comprehensive psychiatric evaluation to identify any mental health conditions and discuss your treatment options.
Your initial evaluation will focus on:
- Current medical conditions and recent or upcoming surgeries
- Previous history of psychiatric treatment or hospitalization
- Family history of mental or psychiatric conditions
- Use of mood-altering substances, including alcohol and prescription medications
- Social issues affecting work, school or personal relationships
Outpatient psychiatric services
Outpatient programs at Novant Health are designed to let you continue your daily life and activities while receiving care and treatment for a mental health condition.
We offer a range of outpatient mental health services, including:
- Behavioral health assessments
- Intensive outpatient psychiatric treatment
- Group sessions for mental health and substance abuse issues
- Confidential substance use disorder assessment
- Family group therapy sessions
- Continuing care sessions
Inpatient psychiatric services
Inpatient services at Novant Health are designed for those with a serious psychiatric illness or addiction problem requiring around-the-clock support. Our team of board-certified psychiatrists, registered nurses, counselors, therapists and social workers is dedicated to helping restore your sense of well-being and quality of life.
You may only require limited psychiatric treatment or might need various levels of care until your condition stabilizes. We'll then help you transition to an appropriate outpatient program or long-term mental health care facility for continued treatment.
Inpatient services at Novant Health include:
- Group therapy sessions
- Medication management
- Supervised family meetings
- Care coordination with other healthcare providers
- Recreation therapy
- Supervised detoxification for drug or alcohol addiction
Mental health conditions we treat
At Novant Health, we're dedicated to helping you improve your mental and emotional well-being in a safe, encouraging environment. We treat a variety of conditions, including:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Bipolar disorder
- Cognitive impairment
- Psychotic disorders
- Suicidal thoughts
- Substance dependence and addiction
Novant Health hospitals
Novant Health has five hospitals in North Carolina offering inpatient psychiatric programs for those with mental health or substance use disorders.
You'll receive exceptional care from board-certified psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners, clinical licensed social workers, counselors and other mental health specialists.