Services offered by Novant Health Breastfeeding with board-certified lactation consultants include:
- In-person, video visits and on-demand breastfeeding consults (On-demand video visits are from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. for North Carolina residents only.)
- Breastfeeding classes
- Breastfeeding and pumping supplies
- Rentals for pumps and scales
- Infant weight check
For more information on breastfeeding services, classes and support groups, call 888-976-4937.
Explore Breastfeeding Services
What are the benefits of breast milk?
Breastfeeding and chestfeeding are nurturing and bonding experiences for mothers and their babies. You are generally recommended to breastfeed or chestfeed your baby for at least a year. Breastmilk includes many health benefits, such as:
- It’s easy for baby to digest
- Antibodies in breast milk protect against infections
- It encourages brain development
- It helps fight disease
Novant Health breastfeeding consultants and services
Our lactation consultants are available to work with you and your family throughout your hospital stay and beyond to teach you chestfeeding and breastfeeding techniques for a positive nursing experience, provide follow-up contacts and promote confidence in your nursing abilities. Our team provides a variety of chestfeeding and breastfeeding services, including:
- Prenatal chestfeeding and breastfeeding classes
- Prenatal assessment
- Bedside hospital consultations 365 days a year
- Consultations in our Level IV neonatal intensive care unit (NICU)
- Outpatient consultation appointments
- Back-to-work appointments
- Breast pump and baby scale rentals
- Retail pumps and breastfeeding supplies
- Nursing bras and certified bra-fitters
- Breastfeeding aids and gift items
Connect virtually with a lactation consultant
After you leave the hospital, you can continue to access personalized chestfeeding and breastfeeding support through Novant Health.
Our lactation support program offers daytime visits, on-demand virtual lactation consultations and other resources designed to connect breastfeeding and chestfeeding moms with expert support.
Share your concerns, ask questions and get expert advice from the comfort of your own home — even during a 3 a.m. feeding — with little to no wait through a private, one-on-one, video breastfeeding consultation. Common concerns a lactation consultant can help you with include:
- Low milk supply
- Sore nipples
- Engorged breasts
- Difficulty with positioning or latching
- A sleepy baby who is difficult to wake up
- Pumping questions
Mother's Milk Club
New moms and their babies are invited to join our chestfeeding and breastfeeding support group. Connect with other new moms and get advice from certified lactation consultants.
The Mother's Milk Club meets virtually to ensure we can continue to provide our group with the support and connection you need.
Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers can connect with a lactation consultant and other new parents at a Novant Health Baby Café location. Baby Café USA is a national organization that offers free breastfeeding support and other resources for new parents. Baby Cafés are free and usually open at least once a week.
At Baby Café locations you can:
- Weigh your baby for milk intake
- Get help with positioning and latching your baby
- Discuss strategies for pumping and storing milk if you're returning to work or school Connect with other parents throughout their breastfeeding journeys