Specialized emergency care for newborns, children and teens
When your child is injured or suddenly becomes ill, you want immediate care. The Hemby Children’s Hospital emergency department is staffed by board-certified pediatric emergency medicine physicians, nurses and child life specialists who will provide the physical and emotional care your child needs during an emergency. The emergency department and exam rooms feature child-friendly themes and entertainment to ensure your child is comfortable while receiving medical attention.
When to bring your child to the emergency department
- Fainting, seizure, convulsion or loss of consciousness
- Fever above 100.4 degrees in a newborn less than three months of age
- Difficulty or rapid breathing
- Sudden dizziness, weakness or change in vision
- Severe vomiting or vomiting of blood
- Bleeding that will not stop after 15 minutes of direct pressure
- Problems with movement or sensation after an injury
- A bulging or sunken soft spot in infants
- Sudden severe pain anywhere in the body
- Falls from any significant height or from a bicycle/car accident
Call 911 immediately if your child is not breathing, is in severe pain or is non-responsive.
What to expect
Knowing what to expect when at the children’s emergency department can help your child and you feel more at ease.
- When you arrive, your child will be welcomed and evaluated by a triage nurse
- Because we treat the most critical patients first, you may have to wait; however, we will do our best to treat your child as quickly as possible.
- Once in a treatment room:
- Your child will be examined by an experienced provider
- Please tell us about any allergies, medical conditions or any medications your child is taking
- Any necessary laboratory, X-ray or other medical tests will be ordered. If for any reason your child can’t have a particular test, please let us know.
- You are encouraged to ask questions and tell us about any concerns your child or you may have
- Your child’s healthcare team will discuss all findings and treatments with you