The Need For Change
Novant Health Clinically Integrated Network (NHCIN)
Today's healthcare system is unsustainable. It is built on a system that treats the symptoms of disease rather than promoting health and a healthy lifestyle. As a result, we have a model of care that is fragmented, inefficient, uncoordinated, broken.
The cost of healthcare continues to climb.
Healthcare premiums have risen 3.5 faster than average U.S. wages. Premiums increased 131 percent between 1999 and 2009, while wages rose just 38 percent.
If food prices inflated like healthcare costs since 1945, a:
- Dozen eggs would cost $55
- Dozen oranges would cost $134
- Gallon of milk would cost $48
Chronic conditions strain the healthcare system.
- Healthcare costs have risen from $2.7 trillion in 2014 to $4.2 trillion in 2020.
- Obesity costs have risen from $147 billion in 2008 to $1 trillion in 2020.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has designated the following 15 states as the "diabetes belt," where people are more likely to have diabetes:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
Consumer expectations are changing.
Since 2010, 30 million new consumers have entered the marketplace due to the Affordable Care Act (ACA). As a result, healthcare is rapidly evolving from a fee-for-service model to one based on value to the patient. The pace to operationalize value-based payments has accelerated significantly, and physicians must learn how to operate within this new paradigm for care in order to succeed.
Are you positioned to deliver value?
A partnership with Novant Health includes:
- Coordinated care
- Commitment to community
Together, with a common set of goals, we can deliver quality outcomes that matter to patients and succeed in a value-based environment.