Novant Health’s commitment to the Lake Norman and Davis communities
On Feb. 28, 2023, Novant Health announced an agreement to acquire Lake Norman Regional Medical Center, Davis Regional Medical Center, and their related physician clinics and outpatient facilities, from subsidiaries of Community Health Systems, Inc. (“CHS”), a Tennessee-based for-profit health system.
As a nationally recognized leader in quality and patient safety, Novant Health looks forward to delivering the highest-quality, patient-centered, physician-directed medicine to the communities served by Lake Norman Regional and Davis Regional. Novant Health’s commitments to the community include:
Delivering exceptional, safe, patient-centered care.
Novant Health continues to set the highest standards for safety and quality in the communities it serves and has received numerous awards and designations for patient care, including:
- The most “As” for patient safety in North Carolina from the Leapfrog Group
- “Best Regional Hospitals” and “High Performing Hospitals” by U.S. News & World Report
- “Top Performer” on Vizient’s 2023 Quality Leadership list
- Five Novant Health ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs) were named a “Best Ambulatory Surgery Center,” by Money magazine, in partnership with The Leapfrog Group
- Three Novant Health ASCs were named a 2023 Top Ambulatory Surgery Center by The Leapfrog Group
- Newsweek’s 2024 List of America’s Best Ambulatory Surgery Centers
- Multiple additional awards for high-quality services, including the American Heart Association for heart and vascular care, and Healthgrades for orthopedic care
Novant Health will bring this track-record of delivering exceptional care to Lake Norman Regional and Davis Regional, enhancing the quality and safety of healthcare services provided to patients of these facilities.
Increasing access to high-quality healthcare services.
Novant Health provides extensive advanced care through a network of integrated hospitals, clinics and physicians throughout the greater Charlotte area.
As part of the transaction, Novant Health will:
- Restore the Level II NICU at Lake Norman Regional, which transitioned to a Level I in 2021.
- Enhance interventional cardiac catheterization capabilities at Lake Norman Regional.
- Enhance physician coverage at Lake Norman Regional, including by staffing a colorectal surgeon rotation.
- Explore ways to ensure the community has access to emergency care close to home.
- Enhance Lake Norman Regional’s and Davis Regional’s ability to recruit and retain physicians, nurses and other staff to enhance access to high-quality care.
Bringing leading-edge technology and innovation to enhance patient care.
Novant Health uses leading-edge technologies to enhance patient care and improve clinical outcomes. These technologies:
- Anticipate potential negative events and drives appropriate interventions.
- Enable medical staff to make informed care recommendations and provide better care to patients.
- Reduce patient wait times and improves patients’ overall healthcare experience.
Novant Health uses integrated technology throughout its system, thereby improving communication, efficiency and quality of care.
As part of the transaction, Novant Health will:
- Implement a modern and integrated electronic medical record system across Lake Norman Regional and Davis Regional, which will facilitate care coordination, improve medical care, and provide patients with access to a patient portal to access to medical care information, obtain immunization records and manage appointments.
- Provide tele-stroke and tele-ICU coverage and AI-enabled clinical support services to patients served by Lake Norman Regional.
- Extend Novant Health’s tele-psychiatry program to provide 24/7 services to Lake Norman Regional’s emergency department and provide psychiatry consult and liaison services to the hospital’s acute care unit.
Ensuring continuity of care for patients at Lake Norman and Davis.
Novant Health’s investment in Lake Norman Regional and Davis Regional will bring long-term stability and growth to these facilities, securing continuity of care for patients.
When it partners with a hospital — whether Rowan Medical Center in 2008 or New Hanover Regional Medical Center in 2021 — Novant Health makes significant investments in the facilities, services, employees and patient care, reflecting its long-term commitment to the community. Novant Health will do the same here.
Promoting equitable access to care.
Novant Health has a proven track record of investing in communities, including an unwavering commitment to health equity.
Novant Health supports programs that:
- Support early childhood (ages 0-5) development programs.
- Host childhood immunizations and health assessments.
- Provide mental health and trauma-informed care resources.
- Provide culturally and linguistically appropriate care.
- Address emerging health issues such as COVID-19 and mpox.
- Increase access to healthcare services by addressing transportation, medication assistance and medical home connection programs.
- Expand safe and healthy housing opportunities for neighbors in need.
- Increase access to healthy food and food security.
Novant Health’s promotion of health equity has been recognized by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
Novant Health has generous charity care, uninsured discount and catastrophic settlement policies to ensure that the cost of care is not an impediment to serving the most vulnerable members of our community. Patients of Lake Norman Regional and Davis Regional will benefit from these Novant Health programs.
- Under Novant Health’s charity care policy, uninsured patients with an annual family income of 300% or less of the federal poverty level do not receive a bill for medical care.
- Novant Health’s uninsured discount policy provides discounted care to certain patients who are not eligible for or covered by insurance.
- Under its “catastrophic settlement” policy, Novant Health works with patients to defray costs when they are unable to pay large, out-of-pocket expenses that are not covered by financial assistance.