Critical care for patients in transit
Our state-of-the-art transport service is equipped with everything you would find in a hospital critical care unit, giving patients seamless care during transport. It’s staffed 24 hours a day by registered nurses who can be on their way to your facility within 15 minutes of your call.
To contact the Novant Health critical care transport team, call us toll-free, 24/7. We'll handle everything:
Our vehicles are equipped with:
- A full complement of emergency- and advanced-cardiac life support medications
- 12-lead ECG transmission capabilities, which helps physicians to determine whether the patient should be taken directly to the cath lab upon arrival at the destination hospital
- Ability to perform endotracheal intubations and ventilator management
- Trancutaneous cardiac pacing and defibrillation
- Cardiac monitoring
- Pulse oximetry
- Titratable vasoactive medications
- Non-invasive blood pressure monitoring
- Balloon pump management
- Continuous cellular phone communications to medical control
We'll handle everything from sending the vehicle to your facility, arranging for a physician to receive your patient and, if needed, arranging for facility admission. Communication among family members, patients and the referring team is one of our top priorities throughout the transport process.
Referring hospitals and physicians receive a follow-up written report on the patient's prognosis and outcome after they have received treatment at one of our facilities. We'll also handle all of the necessary paperwork required by health plans. As a result, the sending hospital is not required to guarantee payment up front.
Our service area
Our vehicles are based at Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center in Charlotte and Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center in Winston-Salem. We can serve patients within 120 miles of either facility. While we routinely service the counties noted below, service is not limited to them.
- In North Carolina: Alexander, Alleghany, Anson, Ashe, Burke, Cabarrus, Caldwell, Catawba, Cleveland, Davidson, Davie, Forsyth, Gaston, Gilford, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Montgomery, Moore, Randolph, Richmond, Rockingham, Rowan, Stanly, Stokes, Surry, Union, Watauga, Wilkes, Yadkin.
- In South Carolina: Cherokee, Chesterfield, Greenville, Kershaw, Lancaster, Richland, Spartanburg, York
- In Virginia: Carroll, Grayson, Patrick
To contact the Novant Health critical care transport team, call toll-free: 1-800-949-2066.
If you have a patient in a life-threatening cardiac or stroke emergency, our medical team knows every minute counts. A helicopter landing area is available to quickly transfer a patient from counties where ground transportation is either not available or where it would be slower than air transportation.