Critical care for patients in transit
When a higher level of care is necessary, Novant Health can dispatch the critical care transport (CCT) team to safely and efficiently facilitate patient transfers. The CCT service provides a seamless level of hospital quality care from the point of pick-up to the destination facility in a state-of-the-art ambulance.
The team includes registered nurses, paramedics, and emergency medical technicians who are ready 24/7 to transport the critically ill adult, pediatric, or neonatal patient.
The ambulance is equipped with the same resources you would find in a hospital critical care unit, including:
- A wide range of emergency and advanced life support medications
- Blood pressure, heart rate and oxygenation monitoring devices
- Capabilities of offering 12-lead ECG transmission, which allows providers in the emergency room to determine whether a patient with chest pains should be taken directly to the cardiac catheterization lab for treatment upon arrival at the hospital
- The ability to perform advanced airway procedures , including the use and management of ventilators, to help those patients who are having difficulty breathing
- Ability to offer cardiac defibrillation and cardiac pacing if needed
- Immediate communication with board-certified physicians enroute as needed