What is an Accountable Care Organization (ACO)?
- An ACO is a group of doctors and other health care providers who voluntarily work together with Medicare to give you high quality service and care at the right time in the right setting. Novant Health UVA Health System is participating in Novant Health UVA Health System Accountable Care Organization l, LLC, a Medicare Shared Savings Program ACO.
- An ACO is not a Medicare Advantage Plan, (like an HMO or PPO), or an insurance plan.
- ACOs don't change your Medicare benefits.
How will an ACO help my doctor coordinate my care?
- Your doctors will have a more complete picture of your health through talking with your other doctors.
- To help you get better, more coordinated care, Medicare will share certain health information with us about the care you get from your doctors and other health care providers unless you ask Medicare not to share it. Medicare may also share your health information with other ACOs in which your other doctors or health care providers participate.
- Our practice may continue to recommend that you see particular doctors for your specific health needs, but it's always your choice about what doctors you see of hospitals you visit.
What do I need to do?
- If you want Medicare to share information about the health care you received with Novant Health UVA Health System Accountable Care Organization l, LLC or with other ACOs in which your other doctors or health care providers participate, there's nothing more you need to do.
- If you do not want Medicare to share your health care information, you need to call 1-800 MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) and tell the representative that your doctor is part of an ACO and you don't want Medicare to share your health information. TTY user should call 1-877-486-2048.
- If you change your mind in the future, you can call 1-800-MEDICARE and tell the representative what you have decided. We can't communicate with Medicare on your behalf.
- Event if you decline to share your health care information, Medicare will still use your information for some purposes, like assessing the financial and quality of care performance of the providers participating in ACOs. Also, Medicare may share some of your health care information with ACOs when measuring the quality of care given by health care providers participating in those ACOs.
If you have questions or concerns, call us at 1-844-266-8268 (Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm). You can also visit medicare.gov or call 1-800-MEDICARE (TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048). Additionally, you can view the Medicare Fact Sheet.