New Hanover Rehabilitation Hospital
Novant Health New Hanover Rehabilitation Hospital is an inpatient rehabilitation hospital in Wilmington, NC. We’ve been part of the community since 1994, providing a supportive environment for you to receive treatment following an injury, illness or condition that has impacted your mobility or function.
Our services include:
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Amputee and prosthetic training
- Neurologic rehabilitation
- Rehabilitation nursing
- Respiratory therapy
- Recreation therapy
- Case management, social work and rehabilitation counseling
- Pharmacy services
We set the standard.
At New Hanover Rehabilitation Hospital, you can expect next-level care. Some of our recent honors include:
- Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), 2021
- Specialty credentials for stroke rehabilitation
- Upgrade Activity of Daily Living (ADL) apartment with a bedroom and functioning kitchen using modern technology to practice home skills
- Upgrade simulated shopping area of practice community re-entry skills
- Modern use of technology including the Bioness Vector gait training system and Bioness Integrated Therapy System (BITS) to enhance your therapy outcomes.
Plan your hospital stay or visit
Whether you are being admitted to the hospital or are a friend or family member visiting someone at the hospital, we want you to feel welcome.
Parking and arrival
Parking is free and available in front of the hospital.
Safety and security
Company Police are on staff 24 hours a day and regularly patrol our off-site facilities.
If you have security or safety concerns, please ask a team member to contact Company Police.
Weapons, drugs and alcoholic beverages are not allowed on Novant Health property.
Most patients who are admitted to the New Hanover Rehabilitation Hospital will be coming from other areas of the main hospital or another facility after receiving care. You will be considered for admission to the New Hanover Rehabilitation Hospital if you:
- Require 24-hour rehabilitation nursing, daily oversight of the plan of care by a rehabilitation physician, and intense therapy services
- Are able to actively participate in intense therapy services, which means at least two disciplines of therapy for at least three hours per day for five out of seven days
- Have a suitable plan for discharge
- Are at least 13 years old
Admissions decisions are made by the medical director of New Hanover Rehabilitation Hospital.
What to bring
• ID card
• Insurance card
• Comfortable, loose-fitting clothes with few buttons, zippers or hooks (enough for several days)
• Comfortable, low-heeled, supportive shoes with a non-skid sole
• Toiletries, eyewear, dentures, and containers for these items
• List of your current medications (leave medications at home)
We recommend that you leave all valuables at home, as we cannot be responsible for lost or stolen items.
Visit a patient
We encourage you to support and stay involved in your loved one’s care. The following guidelines will help you know what to expect when visiting a patient at New Hanover Rehabilitation Hospital.
- To allow for uninterrupted therapy time, special hours have been set aside for visitors and loved ones.
- Caregivers who are learning to offer support at home are welcome to come in during therapy hours.
- All visitors are asked to check in at the nurses’ station before visiting.
- Social vists are encouraged after 4 p.m. Mon-Fri to allow time to focus on their therapy sessions. Visitors are not allowed in the gym unless scheduled for Family Training, to encourage patient focus and privacy.
Getting around our facility
Smoking, e-cigarettes and the use of tobacco products are prohibited anywhere on Novant Health facilities, including sidewalks, parking structures and inside vehicles parked or driving through campus.