Knowledge is vital to a healthy life
Knowing what health risks you have can play a key part in keeping you healthy. Novant Health provides assessments and screenings that can help you know exactly what conditions you are at risk for, how to avoid these risks and how you can improve your overall health.
Health risk assessments
The health assessments we provide can give you a snapshot of your personal health. The assessment is typically a questionnaire designed to evaluate your health risks and quality of life. The information gathered will provide our counselors and coaches the information they need to help you avoid or correct your health risks. Potential health risks we can help you identify include:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol levels
- Heart disease
Know your numbers - It’s very important that you know your numbers, track them regularly, and compare year-to-year so that you can be aware of any significant changes or risk factors. A biometric screening gives you the numbers related to your blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol, and bone density. This information can be very useful and gives you a good estimate of your current health status and the risks you may face. When combined with a health risk assessment, you will have a reliable forecast about your risk for chronic preventable diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and hypertension. Some of the screenings we provide include:
- Basic cardiovascular assessment - measures your total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides and glucose as an indication of risk for heart disease, stroke and diabetes.
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Screening - checks for hardening of the arteries for early detection of cardiovascular diseases.
- Heel DEXA Screening - assesses your bone strength to detect the risk for osteoporosis.
Imaging wellness screenings - Annual imaging screenings play a critical role in preventing illness, even if you are currently feeling well and are in good physical shape. Imaging enables us to monitor your health over time and help with early detection. We use state-of-the-art imaging equipment to perform the following imaging exams:
- Cardiac scoring - a CT scan measures the build-up of calcium and fatty tissues in your arteries to determine your risk of heart disease and heart attack.
- CT Colonography - sometimes called a virtual colonoscopy, advanced X-ray and 3D imaging is used to measure growths in your rectum and colon.
- Carotid IMT Ultrasound - uses high-resolution ultrasound and computer technology to measure the thickness of your carotid arteries in the neck that can increase the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Bone Density - also known as Duel-Energy X-ray Absorption (DEXA), used to determine the strength of bones in the spine and hip for osteoarthritis.
- Mammography - the best method for finding breast cancer in its early stages when the cure rates are highest. It is recommended for women to get a mammogram once a year. Locations provide screening and diagnostic mammograms.
To learn more about our health risk assessments, screenings and imaging services, please contact the Novant Health location nearest you.