Rehabilitation plays an
important role in stroke
and neurological recovery
If you have a stroke or another neurological injury or disease of the brain or spinal cord, the road to recovery can be overwhelming. But with world-class technology, personal connections and care that’s easier to access and understand, Novant Health is with you every step of the way on your recovery journey.
Rehabilitation plays an important role in the recovery of stroke survivors and others affected by physical, speech and cognition deficits. Our team is focused on helping you return home after a stroke or other neurological disease or injury, and we offer inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation care at our world-class facilities.
Our dedicated experts are trained to care for stroke survivors and other neurological patients, and your team will be structured to fit your personal needs. Our rehabilitation centers staff therapists who are nationally certified in physical, occupational and speech therapy.
Depending on your diagnosis, your treatment team may include the following:
- Registered nurse
- Case manager
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
- Speech language pathologist
Treatments are also designed to meet the individual needs of each patient and his or her family. Your therapy may include:
- Medical management.
- Physical therapy to help you regain the ability to move by strengthening your muscles and improving your coordination and range of motion.
- Training for daily living skills, such as cooking, dressing, bathing and exercising, through exercises that improve coordination and strength.
- Speech therapy, including advanced technology that checks your swallowing reflex from inside your throat; if you have had a head injury or stroke, our speech therapists can help you regain the ability to swallow, speak and process language.
- Functional restoration; we use advanced technology such as the Bioness H200 and Bioness L300 to improve your hand movement, ability to grasp objects, foot drop symptoms and ability to walk safely and easily.
- Cognitive and communication exercises and strategies.
- Botox injections to reduce the spasticity of your arms and legs.
- Individual and family psychological services.
- Training and education to improve coping and adjustment skills for you and your family.
We also offer stroke support groups that meet on a regular basis to help you connect with others who are facing similar issues and learn about educational topics from Novant Health experts.
We are dedicated to providing you with the resources and personalized care you need to recover from a stroke or other neurological injury or disease. Contact us today to learn more about our stroke and neurological rehabilitation programs.