Parkinson’s disease and similar disorders can be life-changing – but you’re not alone
Parkinson’s disease is a neurological disorder that causes tremors and declining loss of balance, speech and memory. Parkinson’s disease is one of a group of neurological disorders that restrict movement and cause loss of muscle control.
There is no cure for Parkinson’s disease but certain treatments can address the symptoms and help you live a better quality of life. At Novant Health, our talented clinicians are trained to diagnose and care for Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders, such as Huntington’s disease. After a full evaluation, we may recommend several therapies to help prevent and lessen the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders.
Other disorders in this group include:
- Huntington’s disease
- Restless leg syndrome
- Nervous tics
Symptoms of Parkinson’s disease vary from person-to-person; early on, they may be slight or unnoticeable. Symptoms may include:
- Slowed motion (bradykinesia)
- Stooped posture and balance problems
- Rigid muscles
- Loss of automatic acts, such as blinking and smiling
- Speech problems
- Certain medications
- Rehabilitation, including occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech therapy
- Adaptive / assistive devices, from beds with rails to chairs with straight backs, firm seats and armrests
- Lifestyle changes, including diet
Our goal is to give you an accurate diagnosis and offer personalized support to help you and your family cope with your condition and maximize your quality of life. If you believe you have experienced symptoms of Parkinson’s disease or another movement disorder, contact the dedicated team at Novant Health for specialized care.