Diseases & Conditions : Environmental Medicine
Molds in the Environment
What is mold?
A mold is a microscopic fungus that grows and lives on plant or animal matter or on nonorganic objects. Most molds are made up of filaments and reproduce through the production of spores, which spread by air, water, or insects. There are many thousands of species of fungi. Common indoor molds include:
Molds are found everywhere in the environment, both indoors and outdoors, and throughout the year.
What are common reactions to mold?
Molds cause allergic symptoms in many people. Common reactions to molds include nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, or wheezing when breathing.
More severe reactions may occur among workers, such as farmers, who are exposed to large amounts of molds in occupational settings, including fever or shortness of breath. Mold infections may occur in the lungs of persons with obstructive lung disease.
How can mold exposure be decreased?
According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), one of the most serious results of water damage from a hurricane or severe floods is mold. Molds can grow within 24-48 hours after water damage and continue until proper measures are applied to stop it. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states molds can be recognized from sight, wall or ceiling discoloration, and a bad odor or musty smell.
FEMA and CDC warn returning to water damaged homes after a disaster may pose serious health threat, especially to people who already have preexisting respiratory conditions, pregnant women, children, elderly, and those persons with immuno-compromised diseases.
FEMA and CDC have developed specific guidelines for clean-up of water related disasters. Please consult your doctor with any questions or concerns you may have regarding this condition.