Get training to become a child life specialist
Thank you for your interest in our accredited Child Life Internship Program. Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital’s child life department is committed to providing quality education and training for future child life professionals. An intern will complete two six- to seven-week rotations, with opportunities to shadow child life specialists in a variety of areas. Information offered here explains the application process and eligibility requirements and gives you access to other resources.
Interns help plan and implement programming that provides support for infants, children and adolescents within the hospital setting. Students work to develop skills and competencies in the following areas: medical play, procedural support, procedural preparation, pre-operative preparation, diagnostic teaching, and therapeutic activities. Students also work to develop skills outlined in the Child Life Council Competencies, which are required for entry-level positions.
To become an intern, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Enrolled in undergraduate studies at an accredited college or university, or pursuing a higher degree
- Achieved a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer and/or paid work experience with well infants, children, youth and/or families in a variety of setting, as well as 100 hours of volunteer and/or paid work experience with children in a hospital or clinical setting. A child life practicum is preferred.
- Completion of the Association of Child Life Professionals course review through the eligibility assessment, as well as documented verification of a minimum of 10 approved courses, including a course taught by a certified child life specialist (CCLS).
- Affiliation with a University when applying for the internship; must remain affiliated while completing an internship at Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital.
Novant Health Hemby Children’s hospital follows the Association of Child Life Professional’s offer and acceptance guidelines as indicated below. Please click apply here which will take you to the ACLP’s common application. Please note at this time we are accepting interns only for the fall session.
| Internship Session
|| Application Deadlines
|| Initial Offer Dates
| 2nd Offer
| Fall 2021
|| March 15, 2021
|| May 4, 2021
|| May 5, 2021
|| May 6, 2021
Please include the following items in your internship application packet
- ACLP Common Internship Application
- Official transcripts
- Two ACLP Child Life Internship Common Recommendation Forms
- Cover Letter
All in-progress forms will be accepted.
Please mail the application to:
Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital
200 Hawthorne Lane, 2N Child Life
Charlotte, NC 28204
For questions or concerns, please contact Megan Arleth at [email protected] or the Child Life Council.