Novant Health Mint Hill Medical Center is one-of-a-kind.
The full-service 46-bed community hospital and attached physician’s plaza houses cardiology, neurology, emergency, heart and vascular, surgery, sports medicine, orthopedic and women’s services, as well as advanced imaging, laboratory, infusion and transitional care departments.
On the exterior, a mix of metal and stonework ties into the site’s surroundings while arched canopies and rocking chairs create a welcoming environment. Inside the building, soothing colors, floor-to-ceiling glass corridors and views of the campus’ multiple gardens and walking trails bring the outdoors in, flooding the space with natural light and fostering a healing environment.
The nearly 207,000-square-foot, three-story facility was designed to feel like a destination. And it does.
Here are 12 features that make the 207,000-square-foot, three-story facility a standout.
1. You won’t find fried food in the cafeteria. But you will find an open fire pizza oven, fire-roasted vegetables and fruit-infused water.
2. There are more than 300 pieces of art and photography adorning the walls of the hospital, all from artists who live within 15 miles of the medical center. Much of the artwork depicts scenes, buildings and places unique to Mint Hill.
3. History that runs deep. A history hallway features two glass cases full of artifacts and medical relics from the Mint Hill Historical Society. On you way to the café, you’ll stroll past larger-than-life-sized maps and photos on the walls depicting the past and present.
4. Diversity: More than 250 team members represent 25 different states and 30 different countries.
5. Spaces created to reduce anxiety and provide comfort. From the healing garden, to the fountain, to the room of reflection -- Mint Hill Medical Center offers patients, their families, and team members numerous coves to sit back and take a deep breath.
6. Bringing nature inside. Throughout the building, you’ll notice calming interior colors and elements of nature incorporated into the hospital’s design, such as stone, water, wood and fire. There’s even relaxing aromatherapy flowing through certain areas.
7. Undergoing a procedure or lying still for a scan can be difficult. The hospital has murals on the ceiling in procedure and imaging rooms to give patients something soothing to focus on, and patients can request the music of their choice.
8. Centralized scheduling. Going in for your annual OB/GYN exam and need to schedule your mammogram, or vice versa? You can do it all in one place.
9. Large patient rooms, with beautiful views. The hospital’s all-private, standardized patient rooms with attached bathrooms, sleeper sofas, lighting and temperature controls, and USB charging ports provide comfort and convenience for patients and visitors.
10. A color-changing fountain. The Clarks, a local Mint Hill family, donated a beautiful fountain to sit prominently in front of the hospital in honor of their son, Matt, who passed away from cancer. You can take in the peaceful sights and sounds of the fountain from one of the many rocking chairs that sit in front of the hospital. Stop and read the plaque describing Matt’s legacy.
11. The front fountain and healing garden are encased by a stone walkway in the shape of a ribbon. The lights between the stones can change color to honor medical awareness events.
12. Units designed by the team members who work in them. People who directly care for patients helped design their spaces to enhance patient care. Doorways are wider, operating rooms are larger, cords are absent from the floors, and the radiology department, lab, and CT scanner are all on the first floor, close to the emergency department.
Novant Health Mint Hill Medical Center, the health system’s 15th hospital, is conveniently located at 8201 Healthcare Loop, at the corner of Albemarle Road and I-485. The facility opens for patients Oct. 1, 2018.