Welcome to the new Novant Health Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital. Founded in 1976 by a group of orthopedic surgeons, it is the only orthopedic hospital in the area. The Novant Health Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital was ranked among the top 5 percent of hospitals in the country for surgical care measures, achieved prestigious disease-specific certification, and earned the Gold Seal of Approval from The Joint Commission for five of our joint and spine programs.
Recently, the Novant Health Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital has celebrated important changes. In 2015, Novant Health began a major renovation and expansion project on the Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital, which includes the addition of a third story with 32 additional patient rooms. After gaining new space, equipment, and new Novant Health team members, the hospital is now ready to open its doors.
Fun facts about the new Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital:
- The amount of concrete poured could fill 90 to 100 swimming pools.
- On the roof, the chillers weigh as much as 15 African elephants and the air handling units weigh as much as 57 Honda Civics.
- The weight of the building is equivalent to five space shuttles, fully fueled before takeoff. There are roughly 2,000 light fixtures and 148 miles of electrical wiring – the walking distance between Charlotte and Raleigh.
- The linear feet of pipe used to build this building is equivalent from walking from Charlotte to almost Huntersville or Ballantyne.
- The expansion and renovation required 2,350 gallons of paint and 225,500 bricks.