Add it to a bowl of Greek yogurt, smoothie, or eat it as a snack – this low-calorie, fat-burning granola is perfect for when you need a little extra fuel through the day.
- 4 1/2 cups of old fashioned oats
- 3 cups of almonds, slivered
- 1 1/2 cups of sunflower seeds
- 1 1/2 cups of dried pumpkin kernels and squash seeds
- 1 1/4 cups of honey
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 3/4 cup of canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt substitute
1. Heat oven to 325°. Put the oats, slivered almonds and sunflower, pumpkin and squash seeds in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, combine the oil, honey, maple syrup, vanilla, almond extract, spices and salt.
2. Heat the mixture over low heat until it becomes watery. Pour the oil mixture over the dry ingredients, tossing until everything is moistened. Spread the mixture in a large baking pan or baking sheet.
3. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the granola turns golden, stirring every five minutes so the mixture toasts uniformly.
4. Transfer to a large bowl or cool baking pan and toss occasionally until the granola is thoroughly cool and dry. Store in a tightly covered container.