Serving the healthcare needs
of everyone in our community
At Novant Health Haymarket Medical Center, our mission is to serve the healthcare needs of our community regardless of an individual’s ability to pay. The care we provide is based on the following principles:
- Treat all patients fairly, with dignity, respect and compassion.
- Serve the emergency healthcare needs of everyone.
- Assist patients who cannot pay for part, or all, of their care.
- Coordinate needed financial assistance for qualified patients.
For more information about our
financial assistance program, please call
Making healthcare more affordable for patients with limited means
Haymarket Medical Center's financial aid program offers a fee discount based on a sliding scale if a family’s income ranges from 0 percent to 400 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. We update our sliding scale each year using the annual revision of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG), as published by the Department of Health and Human Services. Persons eligible for assistance will be responsible for a portion of billed charges in accordance with the FPG sliding fee schedule.
Financial assistance plans
We also provide the following financial assistance plans:
- Self-pay uninsured discount plan - Our self-pay discount is 35 percent off gross charges. If
a balance is remaining on the account, your financial navigator will collect a down payment and set up a payment plan for the remaining balance. Payment plans will not be effective until the initial payment is received.
- Exhausted policy limits - Patients who have exhausted insurance policy limits are eligible for our financial assistance plan.
- Eligibility and elective services - Discounts for underinsured, health savings accounts, co-pays and deductibles are not eligible. Patients who desire elective services but are uninsured or have a large insurance
deductible will be referred to a financial navigator to discuss financial arrangements. To be considered for a discount under the
financial aid policy, an uninsured person must cooperate with the hospital to provide information and documentation necessary to determine eligibility or they may be subject to normal collection practices. All required documentation must be provided within 30 days of application for financial assistance.
- Ensure fair billing and collection practices - We ensure that the collections of patient accounts are pursued fairly and consistently reflect the public's high expectation of hospitals. The hospital defines the standards and scope of practices used by outside collection agencies acting on its behalf. Accounts assigned to a collection agency and later found
to meet financial aid criteria may be returned to the hospital and considered as financial aid with no negative impact on the patient. Financial aid application approval is retrospectively valid for six months.
For more information about our financial assistance program, please call 703-369-8020.