A group of engaged families who have had one or more children in the NICU who partner with NICU staff and family support specialists to improve the services and communication to NICU families during their stay in the NICU and after they go home.
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Parent Advisory Board (PAB) is made up of a select group of former NICU parents, Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center (NHFMC) administration, nurse management, physicians, and family support specialists (Family Support Network) advocate for NICU families to improve communication and services. The NICU PAB represents a wide variety of families to better serve diverse backgrounds and experiences. We are an engaged board of passionate individuals involved in year-round projects and events.
The PAB exists to achieve the following goals:
- Provide a venue to gain insight on parent’s perspective
- Provide social, emotional, and educational support for families in the NICU, Women’s Unit, Prenatal Care Center, and post-discharge support
- Provide input on how to improve environment, policies, services, and communication for NICU families
- Partner with staff and leadership in current projects including NICU Reunion, Social nights, Christmas in the NICU, and various quality improvement efforts
- Develop fundraising activities to support various projects to address family needs in NICU
- Increase parent engagement
We adopt a Team Leader Model on a project by project basis. Team Leaders are voluntary roles assumed by voting members who take leadership on specific projects and lead a supporting team in achieving goals. Team Leaders are responsible for reporting to the Chair and to the PAB with updates and progress regarding their specific projects. Duties of each Team Leader will vary depending on the nature and work load of the project.