Novant Health has always been committed to improving the health of our communities and providing care to individuals that is high quality, safe, patient-centered and affordable. However, the healthcare industry is in a transition period, moving from an episodic payment model toward reimbursement models that center around "value" - paying for quality, not quantity. Novant Health will need to understand how to thrive in a market where we manage patients under new risk arrangements - risking higher losses if the care we deliver costs us more than what we are reimbursed, but also creating the opportunity to capture greater gains if we are successful in delivering the highest possible quality for the lowest possible cost.
It will require us to collaborate with providers of care outside our system and anticipate how quickly we shift to payment models that can deliver value.
Value is about delivering outcomes that matter to patients. We must:
- Improve the quality of care our patients receive by:
- Reducing unnecessary variation
- Preventing or slowing the progression of disease
- Identifying the right level of care, provided at the right time and in the right location for each patient
- Embody our value of teamwork and learn to:
- Partner with providers, payors and employers to reduce costs
- Avoid unnecessary treatments that don't help patients get better while focusing on the ones that will
- Manage care and outcomes across the entire care continuum, within and beyond our clinics and hospitals