Novant Health Surgical Associates – Leland offers oncology surgery and general surgery services to adults of all ages. Our providers have experience with traditional and minimally invasive surgery to both diagnose and treat conditions.
We are committed to working with any other providers involved in your care to create the best treatment plan for you. Our providers offer advanced diagnostic procedures to investigate your concerns and help you make informed decisions about your care.
Surgical procedures we offer include:
- Colonscopy (a procedure using a small camera on a flexible tube to identify and, in some cases, remove suspected cancerous lesions from the large and small bowels)
- Upper GI endoscopy (upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, or EGD; a procedure using a small camera on a flexible tube (endoscope) to examine the esophagus, stomach and small intestine)
- Endocrine surgery (surgery on the thyroid, parathyroid or adrenal glands)
- Breast surgery (including breast biopsies to investigate potential cancers; breast conservation surgery to remove a lump while preserving surrounding tissue; mastectomy procedures to remove part or all of the breast as a treatment for breast cancer; and breast reconstruction to recreate the breast after a mastectomy)
- Abdominal surgery (including procedures to remove peptic ulcers from the lining of the stomach or small intestine; cholecystectomy, or the surgical removal of the gallbladder; diverticular disease surgery to remove inflamed parts of the colon; and appendectomy surgery to remove the appendix, either laparoscopically or through traditional surgery)
- Vascular surgery (including vein surgery, bypass or artery stenting, carotid artery surgery, leg ulcer surgery, and access surgery for dialysis and chemotherapy)
- Gastric procedures (procedures involving the digestive system, including acid reflux surgery and gastric resection, or the surgical removal of all or part of the stomach)
- Rectal procedures (procedures involving the end of the digestive system, including hemorrhoid surgery, anal fissure or fistula surgery, or rectal tumor surgery to treat colorectal cancers)
- Intestinal procedures (procedures involving the intestines and colon, including colon resections to remove inflamed or cancerous sections of the colon; small bowel resections to treat Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis; and hernia surgery to repair bulging intestines, either traditionally or laparoscopically)
- Cancer surgery (including surgeries for thyroid cancer, breast cancer, stomach cancer, colon cancer, rectal cancer, carcinoid tumors, sarcoma, lymphoma, and melanoma and other skin cancers)
When possible, we offer our patients the option of minimally invasive surgery, which can lessen recovery time in some cases. Minimally invasive surgeries our providers regularly offer include:
- Gallbladder surgery
- Vein surgery (performed in our office)
- Hernia surgery
- Heartburn (gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD) surgery
- Colon cancer surgery
- Biopsy procedures (for breast, thyroid and lymph node concerns)
- Arterial angioplasty and stenting for vascular disease
We complete many of our surgical procedures at Novant Health Brunswick Medical Center, a facility that features state-of-the-art operating rooms and the Novant Health Endoscopy Center.