At Novant Health Pediatric Cardiology – Cornelius, we understand how important heart health is to your child’s overall well-being. We work to understand your child’s cardiac concerns and to provide you with the information you need to make informed decisions about his or her care.
Our specialists use advanced diagnostic tools that can assess heart conditions in children from birth to age 18. You will also have access to other sophissticated imaging and testing across the Novant Health network. Should your child need a cardiac procedure, our providers work closely with the surgeons at Charlotte’s Sanger Heart & Vascular Institute. An electrophysiologist from Duke University also regularly cares for our patients.
Conditions we regularly diagnose and manage include:
- Heart murmurs
- Chest pains
- Syncope (a drop in blood pressure resulting in a loss of consciousness)
- Arrythmia (irregular heartbeat, including a heart rhythm that is too fast or too slow)
- Heart palpitations (feeling that the heart is racing, pounding or skipping beats)
- Blood pressure concerns
- Congenital heart conditions (heart conditions present from birth)
If your child has a heart condition, or if heart-related illnesses are part of your family’s medical history, our providers will determine whether monitoring or treatment is needed. Your child will also have access to the following diagnostic tests:
- EKGs (electrocardiograms; used to record the electrical activity of the heart)
- Holter monitoring (used to record heart activity over a period of time)
- Transthoracic echocardiograms (ultrasound used to examine the structure and function of the heart)
Our providers are available to offer second opinions if your child has been previously diagnosed with a heart condition.