At Novant Health Osteopathic & Family Medicine, we focus on caring for you as a whole person, not just easing symptoms. We provide comprehensive, compassionate care for patients of all ages.
Doctors of osteopathic medicine, also called DOs, focus on improving health in all the body’s systems by looking at the whole person: mind, body and spirit. Osteopathic medicine includes a focus on prevention, your lifestyle and environment, and your musculoskeletal system. Because the musculoskeletal system (the body's muscles, bones, nerves, and connective tissues) surrounds and supports most body structures, illness or injury can affects several areas. DOs offer osteopathic manipulative treatments (OMT) and musculoskeletal medicine through many services, including hands-on therapy for organs, muscles, joints, connective tissues, blood vessels, nerves, lymphatic vessels and organs.
Our services in osteopathic medicine, OMT and musculoskeletal medicine can be used to treat the following conditions:
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Sports injuries
- Back and pelvic pain during pregnancy
- Headaches, including migraines
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Plagiocephaly (flattening of one side of the skull among infants)
- Jaw pain and dysfunction (Temporomandibular jointdysfunction, or TMJ)
- Digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome and constipation
- Asthma and lung disorders such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD
- Medical care for infants, children, teens and adults for injuries, illness and other urgent medical conditions
- Physical exams, including school, sports and employment physicals
- Immunizations for infants through adults
- Women's care, including annual gynecological exams and breast and pelvic exams; Pap smears; contraception, including intrauterine device (IUD) placement; and post-menopausal care
- Minor surgery, including laceration repair (stitches), dermatology surgery (moles, warts and skin cancers, biopsy and removal of skin lesions)
- Expert diabetes care (All of our physicians have been recognized by the NCQA and/or American Diabetes Association for excellence in care in diabetes.)
- Care for the heart and cardiovascular system (All of our physicians have been recognized by the NCQA and/or American Heart Association for excellence in cardiovascular care); nuclear stress tests are available in our office.
- Care for athletes, including weekend sports and personal fitness enthusiasts, as well as high school, college and professional competitors.
- Assessment and diagnosis of injuries
- Rehabilitation programs
- Physical therapy
- Exercise instruction for those wanting to get in shape, train for a sport, recover from an injury or compete at the next level
- Joint injections to treat pain, tendonitis, arthritis
- Trigger point injections to treat muscle and nerve pain
- On-site x-ray
- Management of chronic illnesses such as diabetes, hypertension or cardiac conditions
- Coordinated care for individuals with multiple medical conditions
- Care for acute illness, injuries and other urgent medical conditions
- Health and wellness promotion
- Senior care, including management of conditions such as Alzheimer's disease, stroke, congestive heart failure, depression and osteoporosis
- End-of-life care
- Immunizations for preventable diseases such as pneumonia, influenza and zoster (shingles)
X-ray is available on-site in our office for sports medicine and other injuries that may require diagnostic services.
We also provide ultrasound, which uses sound waves (no radiation) to help diagnose disease. We offer ultrasound tests in our office, including for:
- Echocardiogram (heart)
- Abdominal (for gallbladder and kidney stones)
- Aorta (to evaluate aneurysms)
- Testicular (testicular cancer, cysts)
- Pelvic (gynecological problems such as pelvic pain and unusual menstrual bleeding)
- Carotid artery, leg arteries (to find cholesterol blockages and poor circulation)
- Leg veins (to find blood clots)
Novant Health Osteopathic & Family Medicine is a teaching clinic. Our physicians are faculty at nearby osteopathic medical schools and family medicine residency programs. Medical students, residents and nurse practitioners often train in our clinic and, with your permission, may be involved in your medical care. Your physician will supervise. Medical assistants also receive their clinical training in our clinic, under close supervision of our well-qualified clinical staff.
For more information about osteopathic medicine, visit: