Novant Health Cancer Institute – Kernersville diagnoses and treats both common and rare types of cancer in adults of all ages. Our providers have dedicated their careers to oncology. They are proud to offer the most advanced diagnostic tools and access to state-of-the-art treatment options, as well as emotional and spiritual support services during and after treatment. Your team will work with you to get you accurate answers quickly so you can make informed decisions about your care without delay.
Services we offer include:
- Computer-assisted tomography (CT) scans (an imaging procedure that combines many X-rays to examine structures in the body)
- Nuclear medicine (a procedure that uses a small amount of radioactive material to examine the structure and function of structures in the body)
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scans (a nuclear medicine procedure that looks at metabolic activity in body tissue)
- Biopsies, including fine needle aspirations and stereotactic needle biopsies (procedures which use a needle to remove a small amount of tissue so it can be examined for abnormalities)
- Digital rectal examinations (to check the lower rectum, pelvis and abdomen for cancers)
- Colonoscopy procedures (a procedure to examine the colon)
- Blood testing
- Sigmoidoscopy (a minimally invasive procedure to examine the large intestine)
- Barium enemas (a procedure that involves a liquid inserted through the rectum to allow for examination of the large intestine)
- Computer-assisted tomography (CT) lung scans
- Bronchoscopy (a procedure in which a thin tube inserted thorugh the throat is used to examine the lungs)
- Thoracentesis (a procedure in which a needle is inserted between the lungs and the chest wall to remove fluid and improve breathing)
- Transrectal ultrasonography (TRUS) (a procedure in which a small probe which releases sound waves is inserted into the rectum; the waves bounce off the prostate, allowing for a video image of the prostate to be made)
- Intravenous pyelogram (an X-ray exam of the urinary tract)
- Cystoscopy (a procedure in which a small tube with a camera is inserted into the urethra to examine the urethra and bladder)
Should you need chemotherapy or other intravenous medications, you can get those in our on-site infusion suite. Our on-site infusion pharmacy ensures the medicines you need are available when you need them.
When you choose our clinic, you will benefit from your provider participating in regular multidisciplinary cancer conferences. These allow your provider to confer with other specialists across the Novant Health network to ensure your treatment plan is as comprehensive and personal as possible. You will also benefit from the many clinical trials Novant Health participates in, as well our hereditary cancer genetics clinic, which can help you identify cancer risks before they become larger concerns.
Throughout your treatment and afterwards, our team of nurse navigators will be there to see you through. They will make sure you have access to spiritual and emotional support services, as well as survivorship and rehabilitation services once your treatment is complete.