Child Life Internship
You can gain valuable experience through our child life internship
A child life internship is the final step in the process of working toward certification as a child life specialist. The Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital internship program, accredited by the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP), is offered once a year in the fall semester. Internship positions at Hemby Children’s Hospital are full time (40 hours/week) for 16 weeks.
The internship program consists of two clinical rotations, in which interns spend six weeks each and work to become an integral member of the multidisciplinary team. The level of responsibility progresses from observing to providing services independently. In addition to clinical experiences, interns are provided with learning opportunities geared toward applying theory to practice, encouraging a reflective approach to child life practice, and preparing interns for the child life certification exam.
Internship is 640 hours (16 weeks) of clinical experience.
- One week: orientation
- Six weeks: first rotation
- Three weeks: mini rotations
- Six weeks: second rotation
To become an intern, applicants must:
- Be a college senior or college graduate with a strong background in child development or a closely related field. Bachelor’s or master’s level academic preparations are accepted.
- Have at least 100 hours of volunteer or work experience with children individually or in group settings (e.g., camp, daycare, developmental center).
- Complete the Association of Child Life Professionals course review through Eligibility Assessment and have documented verification of a minimum of 10 approved courses.
- Have completed a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer or practicum experience working under the direct supervision of a child life specialist in a healthcare setting.
- Have affiliation with a university when applying for the internship; must remain affiliated while completing an internship at Hemby Children’s Hospital.
Fall 2024 internship session deadlines and dates
Hemby Children’s Hospital follows the Association of Child Life Professional’s offer and acceptance guidelines.
- Application deadline: March 15, 2024
- Initial offer date: May 7, 2024
- Acceptance date: May 8, 2024
- Second offer date: May 9, 2024
Please include the following items in your internship application packet
- Internship Readiness Common Application
- Submission of two letters of reference, one must be completed by a practicum or hospital volunteer supervisor who has directly observed you and your interactions with children and families. One should be completed by an academic supervisor.
- All letters of reference must be signed, sealed, and mailed with your Internship Readiness Common Application.
Submit your application
Apply through the Association of Child Life Professional’s Internship Readiness common application process.
Mail your application to:
Child Life Department
Attention: Internship Committee
Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital
200 Hawthorne Lane
Charlotte, NC 28204
All applications must be post marked by the application deadline to be considered.