Medical coverage and dependents
If you will be enrolling dependents in the Novant Health medical plan, you have 31-days to enroll and submit required documentation as noted below:
- Copy of marriage certificate AND proof of joint debt/ownership. The proof of joint debt/ownership must show both the team member and spouse’s names and be dated within the past 90 days.
- Spouse mandate for medical (see below for more information)
- Copy of current proof of receipt of unemployment benefits, OR
- A letter from your spouse’s employer validating they are not eligible for medical coverage through their employer, OR
- 2020 or 2021 Federal Income tax return that verifies spouse is self-employed, retired, disabled or unemployed.
Children (Up To Age 26)
- Copy of front page of current federal tax return that includes the child(ren) being enrolled (you may remove all financial information and all but the last four of the Social Security Number)
- If child(ren) are not listed on your tax return, you must provide a copy of the birth certificate showing the team member’s name.
Spouse Mandate for Medical Coverage
If your spouse is employed, and where they work they are eligible for employer sponsored group medical coverage, they cannot be enrolled in the Novant Health medical plan. However, if your spouse is self-employed, unemployed/retired/disabled, or their employer does not offer group medical coverage to its employees, your spouse may be eligible for medical coverage with Novant Health.
Satisfactory documentation that verifies a spouse is not eligible for group medical coverage somewhere else is required before a spouse is enrolled in Novant Health medical coverage. The spouse mandate requirement only applies to medical. A spouse can be enrolled in dental, vision and life insurance regardless of eligibility for these plans somewhere else.
Complete this form if you will be adding dependent child(ren) to your medical plan
Quick reference guide on how to upload spouse and dependent documents to self-service (Peoplesoft)