Know what to expect when expecting a child
Whether you’re a first-time mother-to-be, expectant father, or an experienced parent, education is an important part of a healthy pregnancy. We offer a variety of fun, informative and convenient classes to help you and your family get ready for your new bundle of joy.
Our classes vary by location, but here are some of the courses that may be offered near you:
- Maternity tour – See for yourself why so many parents-to-be choose Novant Health; take a walking tour of our birthing facilities and learn what to expect when it’s time to deliver.
- Baby on board - financial checklist for new parents - This 1.5 hour session helps expectant parents and couples who are thinking about becoming pregnant learn to manage the new expenses of having a little one. Participants will learn about managing the expenses of a newborn, insurance, wills and savings, and leave with steps to become financially content and secure. Class is taught by Court Creeden, a certified financial adviser and founder of Parent Financial. The class is free.
- Childbirth preparation – This class helps you and your support person learn what to expect during labor and delivery, the signs of early labor, relaxation and breathing techniques, and about cesarean birth and pain management choices. Important basics on infant care are also discussed.
- Childbirth refresher – This class is a great review if you have had a previous childbirth preparation or Lamaze class in the past.
- Increasing comfort in labor: tips, techniques and tools – An activity-based class for you and your partner. This class practices using labor comfort measures, tools and techniques to help mom relax during delivery.
- Cesarean birth preparation – This 2 1/2 hour one-session class will help expectant couples prepare for a planned cesarean birth (also called a cesarean section or C-section) and provide information on postpartum recovery. A tour of the women’s center is included. Listen to this podcast about cesarean birth:
Podcast: Cesarean delivery
- Yoga for birth – Offered at some of our Novant Health medical centers, this three-class series, taught by a certified yoga instructor with special training in yoga for pregnancy, will help you prepare for birth by increasing flexibility and building strength.
- Breastfeeding basics – A one-session class for you and your partner. This class, taught by a certified lactation consultant, explains breastfeeding basics and techniques.
We also offer classes for the whole family to help make the arrival of a baby less stressful and more enjoyable for everyone, such as:
- Dads 411 – Offered at some of our Novant Health medical centers, this one-session class is designed to give new dads-to-be confidence and reassurance. The program includes information on baby care, supporting mom during the first days and weeks, and how to take care of you during this exciting time.
- Grandparenting 101 – Offered at some of our Novant Health medical centers, this class helps grandparents learn about today’s childbearing practices and infant care routines.
- Sibling class – This one-session program helps prepare brothers and sisters age 3 to age 10 for the new baby, including how to diaper and hold a baby.
- Super sitter – This class teaches kids age 11 to age 15 how to provide safe care for young children and explores important safe babysitter strategies.
- Mommy / baby yoga – This class is offered after the baby is born; to help you and your baby bond through yoga sequences.
Other parenting classes may be available, including:
- Preparing to parent a baby
- Infant safety and CPR
- Child safety and CPR
Start preparing for the arrival of your family’s newest addition. Call or click for more information or to see which of these classes are available near you.
For more information about maternity services or to register for a class near you, call toll-free 1-855-251-8808.