Through genetic counseling, we can answer many preconception questions
If you have concerns about a genetic condition or possible birth defect in your newborn, our certified, highly skilled genetic counselors are here to help. They will review your family history, explain your options for prenatal tests and thoroughly explain your test results. Our counselors are certified by either the American Board of Medical Genetics or the American Board of Genetic Counseling.
Your doctor may refer you to genetic counseling prior to an ultrasound for some of the following reasons:
- Increased risk of chromosomal abnormality due to:
- Maternal age
- A "positive" screening test
- The presence of ultrasound findings that increase the risk of chromosomal abnormalities
- Increased risk of a genetic disorder due to:
- Askenazi Jewish heritage
- Cajun heritage
- Cystic fibrosis test results "positive" in either parent
- Spinal muscular atrophy test results "positive" in either parent
- Family history of a birth defect or a genetic disorder - Prenatal testing by a qualified genetic counselor can determine if a specific disorder "runs in the family" or not.
- Paternity testing - Confirmation of the identity of the father of the baby
Genetic counseling is offered at the Novant Health facilities listed in the right hand column. Contact the location nearest you to schedule a genetic counseling session.
For more information about maternity services, call toll-free 1-855-251-8808.