Don’t let headaches and
migraines rule your life
Headaches can interfere with your work and life activities. Left untreated, they can be debilitating.
At Novant Health, our talented clinicians are trained to diagnose and care for all types of headaches – including hard-to-treat migraines. We are focused on helping you get better and staying well.
After a full evaluation, we may recommend the following to help prevent and treat your headaches and/or migraines:
- Medication therapy and management
- Diet modifications
- Lifestyle changes to reduce stress
- Botox injections
- Infusion treatments for acute headaches and migraines
- Referral for rehabilitation therapy
- Pain psychology
There are three main types of headaches:
Migraines - Migraines occur more often in women than in men. Triggers or causes may include:
- Certain foods and odors
- Loud noises
- Cigarette and cigar smoke
- Hormonal changes
Symptoms of migraines may include nausea,
sensitivity to light and noise,
Cluster headaches - A cluster headache is the most severe type of headache. If you suffer from cluster headaches, you may wake up in the middle of the night from the pain; you may visit the emergency room on a regular basis. Traditional medication management does not work for cluster headaches. Cluster headaches occur in cycles with the average cycle lasting up to six weeks. During a cycle, you may have many severe headaches.
Tension headaches - Tension headaches are more common than migraines and cluster headaches. They cause mild to moderate symptoms but can last for up to a week. Unlike migraine headaches, they do not cause nausea.
If you suffer from headaches and experience one or more of the following, you should be evaluated by a physician for proper diagnosis and treatment:
- Frequency and severity of headaches interfere with work and leisure activities
- Current treatment plan does not work
- You take many over-the-counter medications to keep your headaches under control
- You visit the emergency room often due to headaches
- You are on disability because of headaches
- The type and/or severity of your headaches recently changed
- You are over age 50 and recently had a new type of headache
Our goal is to give you an accurate diagnosis and provide personalized care to help you and your family cope with your headaches and maximize your quality of life. If headaches have a significant impact on your health and daily activities, contact the dedicated team at Novant Health for specialized care.