Advanced care when you need it the most
Injuries or illnesses that present a threat to your life should be handled with the utmost urgency and attention. When you or a family member needs this type of specialized care, our critical care team is here to help. Your recovery and well-being is our team’s main objective.
We staff our critical care units with teams of highly skilled doctors and nurses that can give you the special attention and care needed to recover from a variety of severe health conditions. Our healthcare team will provide you with around-the-clock monitoring to ensure you are getting the best care available.
Intensive care units
When care is needed most, it can be found at our intensive care units (ICU). This unit specializes in providing close monitoring, procedures and intensive medical care if you or a loved one is faced with a sudden, life-threatening condition. Our ICU has highly technical and sophisticated monitoring devices and equipment to deliver high-quality, attentive care that is centered on your recovery. Some of our bigger hospitals have specialized intensive care units that include:
- Neurosurgical ICU (NSICU) – This unit provides specialty care for patients who are recovering from brain surgery or other brain-related conditions such as strokes and aneurysms .We provide the in-depth monitoring your condition deserves.
- Neonatal ICU (NICU) - When babies are born prematurely or with an illness that requires special care, they are placed in our NICU. This unit provides close observation and precise medical treatments that help your baby make a healthy transition into the world.
- Cardiovascular ICU (CVICU) – This unit specializes in providing advanced care and around-the-clock monitoring for patients recovering from heart and chest surgeries. Our highly skilled staff will ensure that you receive the attention and care you need for recovery.
- Coronary ICU (CICU) or Coronary Care Unit - This unit cares for patients who are experiencing a life-threatening heart condition including heart attack, irregular heartbeat, or heart failure.
- Pediatric ICU (PICU) – Children requiring the highest level of care during their treatment or recovery are cared for in our pediatric intensive care unit. Located at Novant Health Hemby Children’s Hospital, our staff uses the latest technology and treatments to support your child’s healing. We also provide critical care transport if your child is being cared for at another hospital location and could benefit from the advanced care of this unit.
- Intermediate critical care unit (ICCU) - If you or a loved one is ready to transition from an intensive care unit to a regular hospital unit or to your home, we offer intermediate critical care units (ICCU). This unit provides treatment and monitoring if your needs are not serious enough for intensive care but still remain too serious for a regular hospital unit. Often referred to as a step-down unit, the ICCU promotes greater flexibility in your treatments and increases accessibility to your family following a stay in the ICU or a serious surgery.
To learn more about our critical care services, contact the Novant Health facility in your area.